Rater Eligibility Requirements:
- Native or near-native fluency in Japanese (spoken and written language)
- Hold certification/license or at least two years of recent or current experience as a secondary school Japanese teacher or teaching graduate level courses in Japanese foreign language education
- Currently teaching in a classroom setting is preferred but not essential
- If a rater candidate is retired or not actively teaching, they should have been actively teaching within the last 5 years
- Be willing to accept established ETS essay scoring standards and procedures
- Demonstrate the ability to work well in group situations
- Previous scoring experience preferred
- Raters must reside and perform scoring within the continental United States, Hawaii or Alaska.
- Raters must have authorization to work for remuneration in the United States.
- Willingness to accept established ETS essay scoring standards and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to work well in group situations
- Previous scoring experience preferred
Raters who successfully pass the ETS certification exam will be compensated at $20.36 per hour during scoring sessions. Training and certification are compensated at $11.05 per hour.
Raters will receive training and be required to successfully complete an ETS certification exam. Raters who successfully pass the ETS certification exam will be eligible to score. Certification can take several hours and will continue until the Rater scoring pool is full.
*Rater positions are available based upon test taker volumes. Submitting an application does not automatically constitute your employment as a Rater. ETS reserves the right to withdraw an invitation prior to the scheduled reading session based upon business needs.
*There are separate certification expiration policies for each Task: A Rater must score at least once within a 1-year period to remain certified for a particular Task.
Raters are scheduled for four, six or eight-hour scoring sessions. The available shifts are as follows:
Scoring shifts are available 7-day per week during the Scoring Sessions at the following times:
- 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
- 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
- 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
- 4:30 pm to 11:00 pm
- 7:00 pm to 11:00 pm
All shifts are based upon Eastern Standard Time.
Raters begin each scoring session by practice scoring at least one response, helping them "calibrate" their judgments against the rubrics for the appropriate Task. This process is designed to provide fair and accurate scoring.
Raters should plan to work and will be asked to submit their availability in 4, 6, or 8 hour shifts through the 20-day scoring period, for a total of 30 to 50 hours depending on test taker volume.
There are two large administrations each year for all Tasks: approximately March–mid May and October–mid December. There also are smaller administrations in January and June depending on test taker volume.
• Be able to score from secure home or office locations and have the necessary Internet-based scoring equipment. (Please note that these requirements are subject to change.) For security reasons, raters cannot use shared office computers, or work in public areas where information may be accidentally viewed, i.e. airport terminal, hotel lobby, Internet cafe, etc.
• Provide equipment and are responsible for ensuring that all hardware and software is in good working order.
• Meet agreed-upon commitments to the scoring schedule and devote their full attention to the scoring process during each session
• Be able to work for at least one of the two administrations per year. Raters score from their home or office, under the supervision of an assigned Scoring Leader, using ETS's Online Network for Evaluation (ONE®) system.
The following minimum computer requirements are necessary in order to use the ETS ONE® System:
ONE and RM System Requirements (non-LMS tests)
To use the ETS ONE and RM applications, you must have:
- A PC (NOTE: Chromebook™ and tablets are NOT supported)
Your computer must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Windows® 8 or higher
- MacOS® 10.12 or higher
Browser (NOTE: Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge are currently unsupported)
- Chrome® v.70 or higher (Windows, MacOS)
- Firefox® v.70 or higher (Windows)
- Safari® v.7 or higher (MacOS)
- Cookies must be enabled
- Pop-up blocker must be disabled
- Acrobat Reader® 7.0 or higher must be installed
- Acrobat Reader® add-on/plug-in must be enabled
- Local storage must be enabled
- The ONE and LMS applications are best viewed at a screen resolution of 1400 x 1050 or higher
- The minimum screen resolution is 1024 x 768
- Non-Video Scoring in ONE:
General use of this application requires an internet connection speed of at least 2 Mbps.
Video scoring in this application (i.e., within AP CSP) requires an internet connection speed of at least 5 Mbps.
Some antivirus software may create issues in accessing the ONE website. The URLs below need to be added in the exclusion/exception list of your antivirus app:
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of Women and Minorities.
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE is a Drug-free workplace.
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE provides reasonable accommodations and/or assistance to applicants with disabilities (including but not limited to special disabled veterans, veterans of Vietnam era, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans and individuals with known physical and mental limitations) on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process, please contact EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICES’ Recruiting Department at HRRecruiting@ets.org.
A Recruitment team member will contact individuals having problems with accessibility or requesting accommodations within 2 business days to provide assistance and/or the information being sought.