Rater Eligibility Requirements:
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Russian.
- Native or near-native fluency in Russian (spoken and written language).
- Hold certification/license or at least two years of recent or current experience as a secondary school Russian teacher or teaching graduate level courses in Russian foreign language education.
- Currently teaching in a classroom setting is preferred but not essential.
- Can be retired or not actively teaching, if retired or stopped actively teaching within the last 5 years.
- Be proficient in the English language.
- Willingness to accept established ETS essay scoring standards and procedures
- Be open to the concepts and principles of holistic scoring
- Demonstrate the ability to work well in group situations
- Be able to score from secure home or office locations and have the necessary Internet-based scoring equipment. (Please note that these requirements are subject to change.) For security reasons, Raters cannot use shared office computers, or work in public areas where information may be accidentally viewed, i.e. airport terminal, hotel lobby, Internet cafe, etc.
- Provide equipment and are responsible for ensuring that all hardware and software is in good working order.
- Meet agreed-upon commitments to the scoring schedule and devote their full attention to the scoring process during each session
- Be willing to accept established scoring standards and procedures be able to appropriately and consistently apply scoring rubrics
- Be able to accurately evaluate constructed responses
- Have at least the minimum hardware, software, and other requirements necessary to access and use ETS’s Online Network for Evaluation (ONE)
Roles and Responsibilities
- Raters are expected to appropriately apply their knowledge of teaching by reading and understanding the seven constructed-response questions, which are based on scenarios and sets of documents that a school leader might encounter.
- Raters are required to analyze teaching situations and data and make appropriate determinations of examinees written responses, in accordance with the scoring guide. Raters are expected to score candidate constructed response items by accurately applying the scoring guide consistently.
- Raters are trained to score responses holistically, evaluating the overall quality of thinking and writing according to the criteria in scoring guides. Raters assign scores ranging from 3 (thorough understanding) to 0 (little to no understanding).
- Raters are expected to begin each session by completing training and practice scoring to help calibrate their judgments against standards. Raters are expected to complete training and calibration in a timely fashion and in accordance with program guidelines.
- Raters are expected to work with their assigned Scoring Leader (SL) and Content Scoring Leader (CSL) in a manner that promotes teamwork and cohesiveness (i.e. attitude, initiative, flexibility, openness).
- Raters are expected to log in to the ONE system at the beginning of every assigned shift and score for the entire shift in an accurate and timely manner.
Scoring Session Information:
Raters who successfully pass the ETS certification exam will be compensated at $20.36 per hour during scoring sessions. Training and certification are compensated at $11.05 per hour.
Raters are scheduled for four-, six- or eight-hour scoring sessions. Scoring shifts are typically available 7-days per week during the Scoring Sessions at the following times:
- 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
- 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
- 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
- 5:30 pm to 9:30 pm
All shifts are based upon Eastern Standard Time (EST).
Rater positions are available based upon test taker volumes. Submitting an application does not automatically constitute your employment as a Rater. ETS reserves the right to withdraw an invitation prior to the scheduled reading session based upon business needs.
Hardware and Software Requirements:
*These are the standard requirements, please review for any updates or changes.
The following minimum PC requirements are necessary in order to use the ETS ONE network:
To use the ETS ONE and RM applications and LMS, you must have:
• A PC (NOTE: tablets are NOT supported)
Your computer must meet the following minimum requirements:
• Windows® 8 or higher
• macOS® 11 (Big Sur) or 12.0 (Monterey)
• Chrome OS (Note: tech support for Learning Management System courses is not available for Chrome OS users)
Browser (last two major releases) (NOTE: Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge are currently unsupported)
• Chrome® (Windows, macOS, Chrome OS)
• Firefox® (Windows, macOS)
• Cookies must be enabled
• Pop-up blocker must be disabled
• Acrobat Reader® 7.0 or higher must be installed
• Acrobat Reader® add-on/plug-in must be enabled
• Local storage must be enabled
• The ONE and LMS applications are best viewed at a screen resolution of 1400 x 1050 or higher
• The minimum screen resolution is 1024 x 768
• Non-Video Scoring in ONE:
o General use of this application requires an internet connection speed of at least 2 Mbps.
• Video Scoring in ONE:
o Video scoring in this application (i.e., within AP CSP) requires at least 5 Mbps internet connection speed.
• To run a free speed test on your computer, go to http://www.speedtest.net
Some antivirus software may create issues in accessing the ONE website. The URLs below need to be added to the exclusion/exception list of your antivirus app:
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of Women and Minorities.
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE is a Drug-free workplace.
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE provides reasonable accommodations and/or assistance to applicants with disabilities (including but not limited to special disabled veterans, veterans of Vietnam era, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans and individuals with known physical and mental limitations) on a case-by-case basis. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process, please contact EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICES’ Recruiting Department at HRRecruiting@ets.org.
A Recruitment team member will contact individuals having problems with accessibility or requesting accommodations within 2 business days to provide assistance and/or the information being sought.